Core event of the 13th National Eagle Census, the 2nd Eagle Day will be held in the Jászság Eagle Center and the Jászberény Zoo on Saturday, January 16, 2016.
MME, Hortobágyi National Park and the Jászberény Zoo started a tradition last year to socialize the nationwide monitoring efforts, present birds of prey to the public, and draw people’s attention to how rich Hungary is in raptors, and also to the conservation of the imperial eagle.
January 16 (Saturday), 2016 9.00-14.00 hours
Eagle Center, Négyszállás Tanya, Jászberény – 7km from Jászberény next to the road between Jászberény-Jászárokszállás (coordinates: 47.5563 – 19.9320)
Buses between Jászberény and Jászárokszállás stop at the so-called Négyszállási bus stop. The Eagle Center is located 450 m toward Jászberény from here.
Time-bound programs in the Eagle Center
- 9.00-9.45 Walking along the Bird Educational Trail with professional guidance – Showcasing nest-boxes, and providing information about their tenants.
- 9.45-10.00 mYnest – Ceremonious handover of the nature photography playground, presentation of mYnest to visitors and the press.
- 10.00-11.00 Guided tour around the voliers of the Eagle Center.
- 11.00-12.00 Guided tour to present the Imperial Eagle Nature Trail – riding horse carts on the 3.5 km-long trail (route may change due to weather conditions)
- 12.00-13.00 Guided tour around the voliers of the Eagle Center.
- 13.00-14.00 Guided tour to present the Imperial Eagle Nature Trail – riding horse carts on the 3.5 km-long trail (route may change due to weather conditions)
Time-bound programs in the Jászberény Zoo
- 10:30-11:30 Exhibition of the Imperial Eagle conservation and checking out the event of „penguin walk” in the Jászberény Zoo
Continuous programs in the Eagle Center
- Bird ringing – Catching songbirds near the feeder with mist-net or birds of prey with special traps.
- Chirping playhouse (in the heated exhibition room) – Wooden puzzles, memory games, colouring books for children 3-14 years old. Games in relation to imperial eagles: investigate the dangers threatening eagles, bird-friendly agricultural practice and prey species of the imperial eagle. Exhibition: eagle tree (phylogenetic tree of birds of prey).
- Short movies about the imperial eagle (heated exhibition room).
- Making bird cakes - Making winter food supply for songbirds using suet and mixed seeds.
- Construction of nest-boxes – assemble wooden boxes from prefabricated pieces.
Ringing a Common Buzzard last year on the 1st Eage Day (Photo: Szilárd Morvai).
The first 25 people registered on the Eagle Day can visit the show in the Jászberény Zoo for free while the others need to buy reduced-priced ticket for 1000Ft. Due to the seating availability, only the first 25-25 registered people can participate in the morning and the afternoon horse cart rides, respectively. Registered people will receive a 20% discount off the price of the ticket in the Mátra Museum.
Since most of the events will be held outdoors, therefore, we advise you to prepare your clothing accordingly. Participation in the programs organized in the Eagle Center is free of charge.
The event is organized within the framework of the “Conservation of imperial eagles in Hungary” funded by EU LIFE Nature.