The Hungarian Ornithological Society (MME) and the Hortobágyi National Park Directorate along with the Jászberény ZOO are organizing the 1st Eagle Day with the intention of establishing a tradition. The main aim of the event is to draw people’s attention to how rich Hungary is in raptors, and to the conservation of the Imperial Eagle.
The Eagle Centre will host the core event of National Eagle Census, a yearly event, organized by MME and held on the second weekend of every January.
There is a good chance to observe fly-by Imperial Eagles during the Census
(Photo: András Kovács).
Date: January 17th (Saturday), 2015 9.00-14.00 hours.
Place: Eagle Centre of the HELICON LIFE+ project, Jászberény, Négyszállás Tanya (seven km from Jászberény along the highway between Jászberény and Jászároszállás; coordinates: 47.5563 – 19.9320).
Buses: 450 meters from the bus stop towards Jászberény between Jászberény and Jászároszállás.
- Natura 2000 Playhouse – Wooden puzzle and gigantic memory games for children of 3-14 years of age.
- Bird ringing – Trapping and ringing songbirds around the bird feeder and raptors in the field.
- Bird Educational Trail – Introducing nest-box types and their tenants in a light-hearted way.
- Jászság Educational Trail – Introducing natural values of the Jászság SPA
- Knowledge Court – Riddles, exercises, picture puzzles while wandering around the Eagle Centre.
- Short videos of the Imperial Eagle
- Making bird cakes – Making winter food supply for songbirds using suet and mixed seeds.
The abovementioned programs are actually integral parts of a knowledge test, to which the participants get an exercise book, and those who accomplish them all receive gifts decorated with eagles.
We also draw lots for the main prize offered by MME and the Jászberény ZOO.
Please, if you want to participate in the Eagle Heptathlon arrive in time before 10 o’ clock in order to have enough time to finish all the stations.
Further information for the participants:
Most programs are held outdoors, so we advise you to dress accordingly! We provide hot tea at the Centre!
Participation is free of charge.
People who registered on the Eagle Day will get a discount in the Jászberény ZOO, where one can check out the exhibition of the Imperial Eagle Education Centre among the usual spectacles.
We hope to see you there!